The purpose of the Resources section of this site is to connect you with additional education and information related to the Natural Wonders of North America. In addition to resources that are focused on the splendor, beauty and amazement, Natural Wonders of North America will also provide you with access to tour companies, places to stay, and related resources that make your discovery, exploration and personal experience with the North America wonders of nature the best it can be.
7 NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WORLD
North America is home to three of the 7 Wonders of Nature. The Aurora Borealis, or northern lights, found in Canada and Alaska of the United States, the Grand Canyon, and Paricutin Volcano in Mexico are the three natural wonders making the world list.
- Aurora Borealis – The northern lights are experienced in both Canada and the United States.
- You Tube on the Lights – A fascinating you tube video which captures the northern lights as they dance across the sky.
- Grand Canyon – Traditionally recognized as the largest Grand Canyon in the world, the wonder of nature is located in Arizona.
- National Park Service – Official national park site for the Grand Canyon.
- GC Association – A nonprofit focused on protecting the Grand Canyon.
- Paricutin Volcano – The youngest volcano in the world and the birth was witness by modern man.
- Global Volcanism Program – Another view of Paricutin with additional insights and facts.
UNESCO: WORLD HERITAGE
UNESCO represents the World Heritage sites from around the world as determined by the International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Here is a list of 10 world heritage sites located found in North America:
- UNESCO – Dinosaur Provicial Park: In addition to its particularly beautiful scenery, Dinosaur Provincial Park – located at the heart of the province of Alberta’s badlands – contains some of the most important fossil discoveries ever made from the ‘Age of Reptiles’, in particular about 35 species of dinosaur, dating back some 75 million years.
- UNESCO – Grand Canyon: Carved out by the Colorado River, the Grand Canyon (nearly 1,500 m deep) is the most spectacular gorge in the world. One of the 7 Wonders of Nature.
- UNESCO – Yellowstone NP: Yellowstone contains half of all the world’s known geothermal features, with more than 10,000 examples. A leading candidate for the 7 Natural Wonders of North America.
- UNESCO – Redwoods NP: Redwood National Park comprises a region of coastal mountains bordering the Pacific Ocean north of San Francisco. It is covered with a magnificent forest of coastal redwood trees, the tallest and most impressive trees in the world.
- UNESCO – Everglades NP: The exceptional variety of its water habitats has made it a sanctuary for a large number of birds and reptiles, as well as for threatened species such as the manatee.
- UNESCO – Yosemite NP: Yosemite National Park lies in the heart of California. With its ‘hanging’ valleys, many waterfalls, cirque lakes, polished domes, moraines and U-shaped valleys, it provides an excellent overview of all kinds of granite relief fashioned by glaciation.
- UNESCO – Volcanoes NP: This site contains two of the most active volcanoes in the world, Mauna Loa (4,170 m high) and Kilauea (1,250 m high), both of which tower over the Pacific Ocean.
- UNESCO – Islands of Gulf of California: The site comprises 244 islands, islets and coastal areas that are located in the Gulf of California in north-eastern Mexico.
- UNESCO – Mammoth Cave: Mammoth Cave National Park, located in the state of Kentucky, has the world’s largest network of natural caves and underground passageways, which are characteristic examples of limestone formations.
- UNESCO – Mount Olympic NP: Located in the north-west of Washington State, Olympic National Park is renowned for the diversity of its ecosystems.
NATURE & WILDLIFE
The wildlife is often one of the more exciting or drawing aspects when it comes to visiting wonders of nature. North America is an amazing continent that is rich in natural wonders but that is also rich with abundant wildlife opportunities. Grizzly bears, alligators, moose, big horn sheep, mountain lions, gray timber wolves and more. Protecting each animal is important to keep them from becoming endangered wildlife is essential.
- Endangered Species of North America: Please visit this site to learn more about some of the leading endangered animals from this continent.
Conservation and Professional Organizations
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency of the United States.
- Conservation International: Organization committed to conservation protection of nature.
- NWF: National Wildlife Federation
- UNESCO: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- WWF: World Wildlife Fund
- Science: Educational group focused on an array of the sciences.
- Nature Conservancy: Organization committed to conservation protection of nature.
- Natural Wonders of the Caribbean: Supporting and promoting the wonders of nature from the Caribbean.
Nature Places to Stay
- Hotel das Cataratas: This is the only hotel located in Iguassu National Park on the Brazilian side.
Supports, Causes and Key Resources
- Travel Tracker: A unique and one of a kind travel app that features pre-populated travel wish lists. Tracks your travel and interfaces with Facebook and Twitter. An excellent tool for learning about new bucket list ideas.
- Abortion: Is a problem around the world and something any and every organization ought to work to resolve with compassion and care.
- Christian Adoptions: Adoption is one loving option for people to explore facing an unplanned pregnancy.
- Pregnancy: Maternity care and pregnancy wellness is an essential concern around the world that we must all seek to support. Every body deserves a great first step.
- American Cancer: No family should have to experience cancer, we should do what we can to eradicate this disease.
- American Heart: Heart disease affects too many families around the world and there is something we can do.
Frequently Asked Nature Questions
- Where is the Caribbean: When it comes to geography, one of the common questions is where is the Caribbean. Go here to find the islands and the sea.